Monday, February 8, 2010

Pierogi Soup ***

This was really yummy. Not the healthiest meal, but definitely filling. I served it with crusty rolls. It doesn't make as much as a soup recipe normally does, so next time, I want to try doubling it. This time, I just added more milk and some instant mashed potato flakes, and it gave us enough. I also subbed chili pepper for the paprika, since I was out of it. I doubled that too. Definitely a yummy meal. Kind of made me sad that you couldn't taste the cabbage, though. :(

PIEROGI SOUP
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar)

1 (15 ounce) box frozen pierogies, potato and cheese filling, thawed partially
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped cabbage, packed
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 cup low-fat milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Partially thaw the pierogies enough to cut through.
Cut each pierogie lengthwise, then 3 times crosswise, so each will be cut into 8 pieces. Don't worry if they rip or fall apart.
In a soup pot, melt the butter. Add the chopped onion and cabbage; sauté for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent. Do not brown.
Add the cut up pierogies and chicken broth.
Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the milk and cheese. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
* Amy's notes: Next time I will double the entire recipe. I subbed chili pepper for the paprika and added extra milk and instant mashed potato flakes.

1 comment:

Rachael Heisler said...

I make this once or twice a month. It's awesome. Thanks for sharing.