Wednesday, February 5, 2014

One Pot Wonder Southwest Pasta ****

I loved this one!  It was a hit for all of us.  The chicken and pasta are both perfectly cooked, which kind of surprised me.  This was from the same website as the One Pot Wonder Chicken Lo Mein, so I shouldn't have been surprised.  We really enjoyed that one too.  I normally am not a huge fan of black beans, but you can't really taste them in here, since you rinse them before cooking.  I cooked mine for 15 minutes and then let it sit for 5.  I used a frozen three pepper and onion blend (I love those things!), so this took very little prep for me.  Will definitely be making this again.


ONE POT WONDER SOUTHWEST PASTA
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ TheWholesomeDish)

1 (13.5 oz) box of whole wheat rotini (or any pasta you like)
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 medium green bell pepper cut into thin strips
1/2 medium red onion, sliced
1 (15 oz) can Rotel canned tomatoes and chilies (I used the Mexican blend with lime and cilantro)
1/4 cup taco seasoning (I used one packet)
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups fat-free chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup Mexican cheese blend, plus more for topping (Optional)

Add all but the last 2 ingredients (beans and cheese) to a large pot. Stir, cover, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. There should be 1/4 to 1/2 inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot when it is done.
Remove from heat. Stir in the black beans and cheese (optional). Cover and let it rest for about 3 to 5 minutes to warm the beans, melt the cheese, and absorb the excess liquid.
luckymommy/Amy's notes: I added 2 uncooked boneless/skinless chicken breasts cut into small pieces to the first step.

No comments: