Saturday, February 8, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches ***

This is not the first time I've made this one, but I wanted to update with some changes.  I forgot to thaw the chicken overnight, and it was way too busy this morning, with rushing around to ball games.  I instead just threw the chicken breasts in the crockpot with everything else (no mixing) and stuck that baby on high for 4 hours.  I shredded the chicken when it was done, and everything was perfect.  That's how I'll be doing it from now on (using the frozen breasts), because it really makes things so much easier.  Oh, I also threw in one of those bags of frozen three-pepper and onion blend.  I do seriously love those things.


SLOW COOKER CHICKEN PHILLY SANDWICHES
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Food, Family, & Finds)

2 tablespoons butter
1 large sweet onion, sliced
2 green bell peppers, sliced
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
2 tablespoons Dale’s Steak Seasoning
sliced Mozzarella cheese
hoagie rolls

Spray a 3 – 4 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and turn to LOW heat.
Add butter, onions and green peppers.
Toss chicken with steak seasoning, salt and pepper, then add to slow cooker.
Cover and cook for 5 hours.
Serve on hoagies with a slice of cheese melted on top.
*luckymommy's notes: I dumped frozen chicken breasts in the crock with everything else and cooked on high for 4 hours.  I put the rolls on a cookie sheet, opened them, and added a slice of cheese to each.  Then I stuck them under the broiler for a couple minutes, just long enough to melt the cheese and toast up the bread a bit.

Previous reviews:
8/8/13 ~ I've had this on my "to try" list for a while now, but when someone posted it on the BBC Recipe Swap board the other day, it reminded me to put it in the lineup.  So very glad I did!  It was really yummy.  I had never even heard of Dale's Steak Seasoning before, but I was able to find it on the aisle with A-1 at Walmart.  I love it!  It reminds me of A-1, without the little kick to it.  It has more seasonings in the flavor as well.  It's hard to describe, but it's really good.  In fact, my only change that I would make to this would be to add about one extra tablespoon of the sauce next time.  I don't think the flavor carries through to it enough.  Also, I cut my chicken in small chunks and used my 6-qt crock.  It was done in about 4 hours.  I put the rolls on a cookie sheet, opened them, and added a slice of cheese to each.  Then I stuck them under the broiler for a couple minutes, just long enough to melt the cheese and toast up the bread a bit (to prevent sogginess).  My kids who have sworn against green peppers said that they actually enjoyed them in here.  Probably because they are so softened by the slow cooking.  I'll definitely be making this one again!

No comments: