Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Ravioli Casserole with Spinach and Mozzarella ***

I just adore spinach.  I really and truly do.  I also like ravioli (although it falls second to tortellini - yum!). This was my third time to make this recipe, and we still loved it.  Once again, I really didn't make many changes.  I doubled the recipe, put it in a 9x13 (I like to have leftovers for dh's lunches) and added a TON more spinach.  Other than that, I pretty much stuck to the plan.  Although, I did use some shrimp scampi ravioli that I came across at the store today.  So good!  Definitely better than plain old cheese.  Last time I made it, I added in a handful of chopped grilled chicken, since hubby doesn't think it's a meal if it doesn't have meat.  That went really well too.  I didn't preboil my ravioli, and they were still perfect.  Everyone loved it once again, so I need to remember to make it more often!


RAVIOLI CASSEROLE WITH SPINACH AND MOZZARELLA
(Amy - amylz)

1 pkg. fresh cheese-filled ravioli
1 jar pasta sauce
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
2 cups baby spinach

Cook the ravioli in a generous amount of lightly salted water for 3 minutes, or until firm/tender. Scoop out the ravioli with a slotted spoon into a large bowl of ice-cold water. When chilled, drain the ravioli well. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spoon 1/4 of the pasta sauce into the bottom of 8-inch square baking dish. Layer 1/3 of the ravioli on top of the sauce. Top the ravioli with 1/2 the spinach leaves. Top the spinach with 1/3 of the cheese. Top the cheese with 1/4 more of the sauce, 1/3 more of the ravioli, the rest of the spinach and 1/3 more of the cheese. Top the cheese with 1/4 more of the sauce and the remaining ravioli. Top the ravioli with the remaining sauce and cheese. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
Makes: 4 servings
* Amy's (luckymommyto2boys) notes: I double the recipe, put it in a 9x13, and cook for 30 minutes covered and 20 uncovered.  I don't preboil the refrigerated ravioli, and I sometimes add a handful of chopped grilled chicken.

Previous reviews:
11/15/10 ~ I saw this on Amy's blog and knew I had to make it ASAP.  I had two packages of refrigerated ravioli that were just waiting to go bad, and I am an absolute spinach fiend.  It was the perfect solution.  :)  It got raves all around.  Even dh gushed, and he's totally not a gusher.  I have strict instructions to make this one again soon, so I guess that tells how much my family likes it, huh?  ;)

No comments: