Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Crockpot Cashew Chicken ***

I was pleasantly surprised by this.  The kids loved it, which really took me by surprise.  I've been down with a cold the past few days, so just threw everything in frozen (chicken and all veggies).  When it was done, I shredded the chicken and stirred in 4 cups of cooked white rice.  It had a little bit of heat to it, so I might cut back a bit on the red pepper next time.  I couldn't find rice wine vinegar, so I subbed apple cider vinegar (thanks to some online advice).  I would definitely make this again, and I would stick with cooking from frozen, since it makes things so much easier.


CROCKPOT CASHEW CHICKEN
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ SallyCooks)

4 chicken breasts, cut into smaller pieces
3-4 cups frozen broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups carrots, sliced
1 cup cashews (unsalted works best so as not to oversalt the recipe)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
6 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons ginger paste
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or less, to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup water or chicken broth

Layer chicken, cashews and vegetables in the crockpot.
Combine remaining ingredients except water and pour over chicken in crockpot.
Add water or broth if necessary so mixture is almost completely covered.
Cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-8 hours on low.
*luckymommy/Amy's notes: I subbed apple cider vinegar for the rice wine vinegar.  I threw everything in the crockpot frozen and stirred  in 4 cups cooked rice at the end.

No comments: