Sunday, April 11, 2010

Baked French Toast Casserole *

This was just okay for us.  Dh and the kids liked it enough.  Actually, dh loved it.  It was a little strange texture-wise for me.  Honestly, I'd have been happy just leaving off the topping and using syrup instead.  I think it might have crisped up a little more.  The crust edges were good.  I even let it cook an extra 5 minutes, but it was still too mushy for me.  The egg was fully cooked, so it wasn't that.  It just was too mushy.  I also wasn't crazy about the nutmeg addition.  It would have been better with just the cinnamon, in my opinion.


Photo courtesy of Recipezaar.com

BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar.com)

1 loaf French bread

8 eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans

Place sliced bread in 2 large baking pans that have been sprayed with PAM.
Mix eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, and spices.
Pour over bread.
Refrigerate overnight.
The next morning combine the last 3 ingredients and put on top.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until done.

No comments: