Wednesday, April 28, 2010

10-Layer Poor Man's Lasagna Casserole ***

This is yet another attempt at soothing my lasagna-obsessed son, lol.  I kid, but lasagna is one of the few things that the entire family just loves.  I liked that this one was a little simpler than the normal lasagna, but once I got into it, it was actually just as complicated.  It just cooked a little less time.  It was really good, though.  The whole family loved it.  I have a nasty tummy bug, so I couldn't eat, but it does smell divine (praise the Lord the nausea subsided enough for me to cook without vomiting).  I have a strange aversion to macaroni noodles in anything but a macaroni-type meal, so I went with a 12-oz box of whole grain penne instead.  I also subbed ground turkey, as usual, and I cooked in a 9x13 pan.  Other than that, I stuck fairly close to the recipe.  I'll definitely keep this on our "make again" list, since it accomplishes the lasagna thing in less time than normal.

Photo courtesy of Recipezaar

10-LAYER POOR MAN'S LASAGNA CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar.com)

1 1/2-1 3/4 lbs hamburger
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (4 1/2 ounce) can Green Giant sliced mushrooms, drained
Ragu parmesan and romano spaghetti sauce
8 ounces cream cheese
16 ounces sour cream
1/4 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
3 1/2 cups macaroni noodles, raw
2 cups shredded sargento four-cheese Mexican blend cheese

Brown hamburger in frying pan with salt and pepper, oregano, Italian seasonings, onions and garlic until done.
Drain grease.
Stir in (drained) mushrooms and spaghetti sauce.
Simmer on very low.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, heat cream cheese in microwave until very soft. Stir in the sour cream and beef bouillon well. Set aside.
Cook macaroni until just done or “al dente”. Drain well.
In greased 4 quart roaster or crock pot, place (layer) 1/3 noodles, then 1/3 cream sauce, then 1/3 meat sauce, repeat 2 more times until ingredients are used up.
Top with shredded Mexican blend cheese.
Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 35 to 40 minutes until heated through and lightly bubbling.
Let rest 5 or 10 minutes before serving.
About 10-12 servings.
Serve with garlic bread and a tossed salad.
* Amy's notes: I subbed ground turkey, 12-oz box of whole grain penne pasta, and cooked in a 9x13.

No comments: