Tuesday, April 13, 2010

King Ranch Casserole ***

I've always wanted to try a King Ranch Chicken recipe, just because it seems like I hear it mentioned so often.  I came across this one on accident, but I loved that it had such a short cook-time.  I did make a few changes, as always.  :)  I used my peppers in another recipe and forgot to buy more, so I subbed frozen corn in their place.  I will most definitely stick to that substitution.  Dh isn't crazy about peppers anyway, and I just loved the sweetness and crunch of the corn with the spiciness of the dish.  I also used garlic powder instead of minced garlic.  Two tablespoons of chili powder is just too much.  I knew that when I read it, and I didn't go with my gut.  I'll probably cut it in half next time.  It wasn't overpowering, but it was just too spicy for my tastes.  I'm glad the kids didn't eat any for that reason.  I had no clue what size tortillas to use, so I used the smaller ones.  I put eight on each layer instead of six.  It gave more of a separation between the layers, so I'll keep that in the future also.  Overall, this was actually really good.  I love that I can cram the veggies in there, and it makes for a perfect easy one-dish meal!


Photo courtesy of Recipezaar.com

KING RANCH CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar.com)

1 cup onion, diced
1 cup green bell pepper, diced
1 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 can low-fat cream of celery soup
1 can 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
1 lb low-fat cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked chicken
1 can rotel tomatoes with green chilies
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon chicken broth
12 corn tortillas, torn in strips

In a large pan sprayed with cooking spray, sauté onion, bell peppers, garlic and celery.
Add soups, tomatoes, chilies, spices and chicken broth.
Line bottom of 9x13 pan with half of tortilla strips.
Spread half of chicken over tortillas and top with sauce, then half of cheese.
Cover with another layer of tortillas, chicken, sauce and cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
*Amy's notes: I subbed corn for the peppers and preferred it that way.  I also used a total of 16 small corn tortillas.  I will half the chili powder next time.

No comments: