Tuesday, July 25, 2017

One Skillet Sausage and White Bean Gnocchi **

This was my first attempt at making anything with gnocchi at home. We love the Olive Garden gnocchi soup, so I knew we'd eventually need something for that at home as well. I'm WAY behind on my reviews, so when I made the recipe, it was way too hot for the soup. This seemed like a good way to incorporate it into our meal plan. We did all like it a lot. The gnocchi didn't quite soften up like it should have, though. I don't have a Dutch Oven, so I cooked it on the stove in my regular skillet and then transferred it to a 9x13 baking dish to put it in the oven. That could have had something to do with it, I guess. Anyway, we did like it, but I don't know that I would bother with this exact recipe again. I'm usually pretty busy in the evenings, so this takes a little more prep work that I prefer, unless it's a phenomenal dish that we all are crazy about. I doubt I'll be making it again.


ONE SKILLET SAUSAGE AND WHITE BEAN GNOCCHI
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ ChelseasMessyApron)

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 package (13 ounces) Butterball Hardwood Smoked Turkey Sausage
1/4 cup water or chicken broth
1 can (14.5 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika optional
Seasoned salt and pepper
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans
1 package (16 ounces) gnocchi
1 and 1/2 cups fresh spinach ~4-5 ounces
1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Optional: fresh parsley

Move a rack in your oven to the upper third of the oven and then preheat to 425 degrees F.
Put a large oven-safe skillet (I use a 12 inch lodge dutch oven skillet), on the stove at medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil.
Add in the chopped onion and stir until the onion is transparent -- about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds.
Coin the turkey sausage and add to the skillet. Cook over high heat until lightly browned or about 3-4 minutes.
Add in the water or broth, undrained Italian diced tomatoes, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, paprika, seasoned salt and pepper, THOROUGHLY rinsed, drained, and dried cannellini beans, and uncooked gnocchi. Stir until everything is well combined. Gently stir in the spinach and make sure it's covered with liquid.
Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and place in the oven.
Bake for 17-22 minutes. If desired, turn on the broiler and then broil for another 2-3 minutes for a delicious crispy top.
Remove from the heat, top with additional salt, pepper, and some chopped fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy immediately.

No comments: