Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pepperoni Lasagna in the Crockpot ****

I've been making this one for years, but this time around, I had an extra can of spinach that I needed to use up.  I stirred it into the cottage cheese mixture, and it was so good.  I'm going to keep doing it that way, so I'm updating the recipe with the addition.  It seems like a lot of water in the sauce, but it will be soaked up by the noodles.  Dh made me promise to make this again soon.  :)  Sorry for the bad picture.  I'll take a better one next time, lol.


PEPPERONI LASAGNA IN THE CROCKPOT
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy)

2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
4 cups water
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
1 (7 ounce) can mushrooms
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 eggs
1 (12 ounce) carton small curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can chopped spinach, drained
9 no boil lasagna noodles
1 (3 1/2 ounce) package sliced pepperoni
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz.)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Add water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, bouillon, mushrooms, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Break noodles in half.
In a bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese, spinach and sour cream.
Spread 1/4 of meat sauce into a greased crockpot. Layer with three noodles, 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture, and 1/3 of the pepperoni. Repeat layers twice more (3 total layers, beginning with the noodles), and top with remaining noodles and meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
Cook on low for 4-6 hours. (We like our noodles kind of soft, so I go for at least 5 hours. For firmer noodles, stop at 4 hours.)

Previous posts:
3/30/10
This was my first attempt at turning an oven lasagna recipe into a crockpot recipe. I changed up quite a few things, but the recipe below is written with my changes. Overall, the flavors were wonderful. The only problem was that it cooked a little too quickly, which was simply due to the crockpot not being full enough. I think that next time, I'm going to up the meat amt to 2 lbs and double the sauce mixture. I'll probably keep the cheese layer the same, since I don't want it to be too overpowering. I also want to start adding mushrooms, to give it a little extra veggie boost. This was SO perfect, though. Even the 6-year-old lasagna conoisseur gave it his seal of approval. :)

No comments: