Monday, July 16, 2012

Mexican Pot Pie ****

We absolutely love this one! The first time I made it, I kept putting off making it, because I tend to have ADD when it comes to recipes with long lists of ingredients. The one thing it had going for it in that respect was that it had a short directions list, lol. I do love Jiffy in general, and cumin is one of my top 5 spices. Put the two together, and I was sold. Even the super picky 6-year-old asks for seconds. Dh hates black beans, and the kids hate black olives. I get NO complaints on any of that stuff! It's so awesome! It's actually not too terribly unhealthy, either, which is totally awesome, what with dh and I starting diets again. I just used a colby-jack blend, instead of using two different kinds of cheese. Mine also needed the full 30 minutes for the cornbread to set. This one will most definitely be made again!


MEXICAN POT PIE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Food.com)

1 lb lean ground turkey (93% lean is best)
11 ounces corn, drained
15 ounces black beans, drained (or chili beans)
4 ounces diced green chilies (or jalepenos)
16 ounces salsa
4 ounces sliced black olives (optional)
4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
8 1/2 ounces Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Brown turkey and drain.
Spray a 2 1/2-3 qt (mine's a 9x13) casserole and combine turkey, corn, beans, chilis, salsa and olives. stir in cheese and pour into casserole.
Mix jiffy mix with egg, milk, sour cream, cumin and garlic.
Spread over turkey mixture
Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes.

No comments: