Saturday, December 25, 2010

Breakfast Casserole ***

This time, I made this with sausage instead of ham.  It was okay, but I think that hubby picked up the wrong sausage.  It definitely didn't taste like the mild that we normally get.  The store was also out of the shredded hashbrowns, what with all the hashbrown casseroles for Christmas, so I had to use the diced potatoes.  I definitely won't do that again.  It makes too big of a potato layer, in my opinion.  I did use the 6 eggs this time, and I'll definitely continue doing that in the future.

Photo courtesy of Recipezaar

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar)

1 (12 ounce) bag frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
1/2 cup melted butter
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 lb bacon or ham, cooked and crumbled
1-1/2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese

Squeeze excess moisture from potatoes.
Mix potatoes and melted butter.
Press into 13X9 baking pan, coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425*F for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven.
Sprinkle bacon or ham and cheese over potatoes.
Beat together eggs and milk.
Pour egg mixture over meat and cheese.
Bake an additional 30 minutes or until set.
** Amy's notes: I used 6 eggs.

Previous reviews:
6/13/10... We all really liked this. Unfortunately, when I originally read the directions, I only noticed the 25 minute cook time. I completely overlooked the 30 minutes before that. Oops. I was worried about getting it ready in time for us to eat before church, but it ended up working out, since DS1 woke us up so early, lol. My backup plan was to cook the hashbrowns in the skillet and then cook the second half of the recipe in the oven, as directed. I think that would work as well.

Anyway, I actually made no substitutions that I can think of off the top of my head. I did, however, add in an extra egg. Four eggs just didn't seem like enough for a 9x13 pan, in my opinion. Overall, it was a crowd-pleaser. I wish I'd had some salsa to put on top of mine, but oh well. Cooking the hashbrowns first gives them just a little bit of a crunch, which is actually really nice. It was nothing spectacular, but it was nice and easy and tasty, which is always a plus in my book. :)

No comments: