Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Southern Pineapple Dressing ****

My kids always call this "Cranberry Stuff," but it's requested every year.  Dh would eat the entire dish by himself if we would let him, lol.  It's best hot out of the oven, but I've even eaten it cold from the fridge.  It's yummy no matter what.  I can't see myself eating it with ice cream, although I know dh would like it.  In my opinion, it's perfect all on its own.  I've been making it since right after my 5-year-old was born, and we look forward to it every year.  I use 1/2 cup of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter," and I always end up having to cook it closer to 55 minutes or an hour.  It's a little time-consuming, but it's SO worth it.  :)  This time, I halved the recipe (as a surprise dessert for dh and the kiddos) and put it in an 8x8 baking dish.  Came out perfect as usual.  It ended up having to cook for about 40 minutes total.

Photo courtesy of Recipezaar

SOUTHERN PINEAPPLE DRESSING
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar.com)

1 cup unsalted butter
3-1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 eggs
1 cup milk
2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, DRAINED WELL
1 cup dried cranberries, Craisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
22 slices de-crusted bread, torn into pieces

In large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, milk and pineapple, mix well. Stir in "craisins" and pecans. Fold in bread. Pour into greased 13x9 glass baking dish, do not smooth flat, leave tiny peaks.
Bake, uncovered, in 350* oven for 45-60 minutes till caramelized and peaks are tinged brown.
(OP’s notes: I serve this warm, not hot. Goes great with turkey, ham, chicken, and pork as a side dish. Leftovers even go great re-heated with vanilla or butter pecan ice cream!)
** Amy’s notes: 1 cup of butter is too much for us. I always use just ½ cup.

No comments: