Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Spanakoryzo (Spinach and Rice) ***

I've been craving spinach like mad lately.  I didn't want to waste fresh spinach on anything like creamed spinach, since that would totally do the opposite.  I thought of just sauteeing it, but I really wanted something new and different.  And then I remembered this one from last year.  It is so good!  I use brown rice, which adds to the flavor perfectly.  Of course, it doesn't fluff up as well as white, so that's a bummer.  I still stick with the brown, though, just because I like the nutty flavor next to the spinach.  Sauteeing the onion with the rice in the beginning gives them a little bit of a sweet, carmelized flavor.  For the last half of the part where I was sauteeing the rice with the onion, I added a container of sliced mushrooms.  Totally made the meal.  My KIDS even gushed about it!  For the water, I use boiling water and just add chicken bouillion granules.  I really don't think it would be as good with just the water.  Last time, it was a little too oily for me, so I cut the olive oil down to 1-1/2 tbsp.  Perfect.  Overall, this is a winner with us.  I plan on making this many, many times.  :)

Photo courtesy of Recipezaar.com

SPANAKORYZO (SPINACH AND RICE)
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar.com)

1 cup uncooked rice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cups boiling water or chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 lb fresh spinach

Saute rice and onion in olive oil , stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add boiling water and salt; simmer covered for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, wash spinach well then cut into 1/2" strips (you can roll a group of leaves together and cut into strips).
After rice has simmered for 10 minutes add spinach and mix well, cover and continue to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
* Amy's notes: I cut the oil to 1-1/2 tbsp, cut the salt to 1 tsp, and add a carton of sliced mushrooms for the last 5 minutes of the first step.

No comments: