Monday, October 26, 2015

Mexican Beef-Stuffed Peppers (Crockpot) ***

First off, I apologize for the picture.  It is quite possibly the very worst one I've ever taken.  While I was snapping it, the 12-year-old dropped his entire plate on the floor.  Plate was fine.  Food was not. :-(  We were already in a rush to eat and head out for the 10-year-old's soccer tournament, so this picture is the only one I got.  I'll shoot for a better one next time.

That said, the recipe below is doubled from the one posted on Taste of Home, just because I needed extras for lunches (and to drop on the floor, apparently).  The original recipe is in the link under the title.  I didn't change anything but the amounts, though.  I have a 7-quart crockpot, and it will comfortably hold 7 peppers.  I made 4 green and 3 red.  The red was my favorite.  The 12-year-old liked the green, and the 10-year-old said he didn't like the pepper part at all.  Oh well.  He did love the stuffing, so it's still no big deal.  I used ground turkey, just because that's our preference.  It worked beautifully.  I've always wanted to make stuffed peppers, but I've never had time.  We love the Undone Stuffed Pepper Casserole, but it's just not the same.  Now that I'm temporarily working at home, it was the perfect opportunity!  Hubby and I loved it.  I am already planning on making it again!


MEXICAN BEEF-STUFF PEPPERS (CROCKPOT)
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ TasteofHome)

6-7 medium green or sweet red peppers
1.5 pounds ground beef
2 packages (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve Spanish rice
4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
3 cups salsa
2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
1 cup water
4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the rice, 2 cups cheese, salsa and pepper sauce. Spoon into peppers. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour water around peppers.
Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through. Top with remaining cheese; sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 6-7 servings.

No comments: