Thursday, October 15, 2015

Slow Cooker Ham and White Beans ****

Last weekend, we went to a nearby harvest festival.  Every year, they have a little stand selling white beans with ham.  It always smells delicious, but there are so many other (more exciting) foods to sample that I rarely get around to having the beans. So this year, I came home craving them something fierce.  I went straight to the store, and the very next morning, these beans were in my crockpot.

Now, first off, I'll say that this is not a fancy recipe.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.  Truthfully, it should probably be one of those "make it up as you go" things, but I kind of suck at planning those.  Recipes like that can only happen spur of the moment for me.  For everything else, I need a recipe.  Now, I can easily change around any recipe and even turn it into something completely different than was originally written.  I just need something to get me started.  This is perfect for that.  It really needs no changes to what's written, though.  I didn't measure anything, but I just kind of eyeballed all of the ingredients.  I went with ham steaks cut into cubes, and I probably had a bit too much in there.  But other than that, it was great.  I will absolutely make this again and again.


SLOW COOKER HAM AND WHITE BEANS
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ PlainChicken)

1 lb package dried northern beans
ham bone, hocks, shanks or diced ham (about 1 pound)
2 tsp onion powder
6 cups water
salt & pepper to taste

Rinse and sort the beans for any pebbles. Add the rinsed beans, onion powder, salt, pepper, and ham to the crock pot. Add water. Cover and cook on low about 8 hours, until beans are tender. Remove ham bone, shanks or hocks and pull off the meat. Add meat to the crock pot and mix. Serve with cornbread.

No comments: