Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Crockpot Stacked Enchiladas ****

We love this more and more each time I make it.  I know that a lot of people don't like the doughy texture that tortillas get in the crockpot, but honestly, it's one of our favorite parts.  The 10-year-old even picked his tortillas out and ate them first before finishing the rest, lol.  I'm sure the corn tortillas would hold up much better than the flour, though.  We just happen to like the flour.  They all told me over and over how much they loved it.  I personally had to fight the urge to go back for seconds. ;-)


CROCKPOT STACKED ENCHILADAS
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy)

1 (14 ounce) package taco-size corn or flour tortillas
1 (20 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
3 cups shredded cooked chicken or cooked pot roast
1 (10 ounce) can corn
1 teaspoon cumin
1-1/2 cups light cream cheese
1 (4 oz) can green chilies
1 onion, chopped fine
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can refried beans
1 can sliced black olives (optional)

Mix cooked meat, cumin, cream cheese, green chilies, corn, and onion together.
Spray inside of crock pot with nonstick spray, then pour a little enchilada sauce on the bottom.
Place one tortilla in the bottom of the pot.
Spread 1/4 of the beans on the tortilla.
Cover with 1/4 of the meat mixture.
Pour 1/5 enchilada sauce on top of meat.
Sprinkle some cheese on top of sauce.
Add another tortilla and continue layering until you run out of meat mixture.
You should still have some cheese and sauce left.
Top with a tortilla, then pour remaining enchilada sauce over all.
Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
When it's done, sprinkle remaining cheese (and black olives, if desired) on top, and replace lid until cheese melts.
Cut into wedges with plastic spatula to serve.

Previous Posts:
4/16/12 ~ We've had this several times, but it's been a few years.  I'm still going through and trying to work some old favorites into our menus, to see how our tastes have changed.  The last time we had this, Monkey 1 was 4, and Monkey 2 was 2.  They're now 8 and 6.  How time flies!  They loved it this time around.  The recipe has changed so much over the years that I'm no longer even sure where I got it.  I do love it, though.  We prefer the flour tortillas, because they soften up so well.  Others may not be as fond of that and would prefer the texture of the corn.  Either way, you can't go wrong.  :)  This time, I used b/s chicken thighs, since I had some on hand.  In the past, I've used frozen shredded chicken and cooked it 6 1/2 hours on low.  It was still delicious!  It's a very forgiving recipe, which is always nice.  As usual, I served it with my Quick Spanish Rice.

No comments: