Sunday, January 25, 2015

Broiled Grapefruit with Honey and Cinnamon ***

As a rule, I really don't care for grapefruit.  I want to, since it's so healthy, but I just can't make myself.  My youngest, the 9-year-old, just adores it, for some insane reason.  So once I heard that broiling it can give it a completely different flavor, I figured it was worth a shot.  We actually enjoyed it.  Even hubby and the 11-year-old liked it, which really surprised me.  I just did honey and cinnamon, but I think the bananas or strawberries would be a good addition.  I'm thinking I might try slicing it into rounds (instead of just in half) and putting honey on each slice.  My only complaint was that the parts closest to the bottom tasted like plain old grapefruit (blech).  I only broiled it on the low setting this time, so I also think I'll give it a shot with broiling the halves on high.  The extra carmelization might help with distributing the flavor a bit more.  No matter what, I definitely know I'll make it again, because it makes for a great dessert that I don't have to feel guilty about.


BROILED GRAPEFRUIT WITH HONEY AND CINNAMON
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ SheWearsManyHats)

grapefruit
honey
ground ginger (ground cinnamon is a good substitute or addition)
optional: banana slices (strawberries would be nice too)

Prepare oven for broiling. Position oven rack on top.
Cut grapefruit(s) in half. Using a small serrated knife or grapefruit knife, loosen the grapefruit sections from the membrane. Place the grapefruit halves on a baking sheet or shallow baking pan.
Drizzle grapefruit halves with honey. Place banana slices on top and flip once to coat both sides with honey. Dust with ground ginger (and/or cinnamon).
Place under broiler until bubbling and slightly browned in spots, about 4 to 6 minutes. Keep an eye on during broiling to avoid burning.
Serve warm.

No comments: