Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cheese-Topped Beef Bake **

I found this recipe on the BBC Recipe Swap board quite a while ago, and I've had it in my to-try file ever since.  Hubby actually ended up making it tonight, since I was running late getting home from work.  He said it was pretty easy to throw together.  The flavor is good, but it's just a tad bit rich for me.  I did use egg noodles instead of shells, since I had some I needed to use up. Plus, I'm kind of weird about not wanting shell noodles in anything but mac and cheese, lol.  We all liked it, but I don't know that I'll make it again.  The cream cheese layer is just a little too thick for me.  Even after mixing it together with the noodles and spaghetti sauce, the chive and onion flavor was a bit overwhelming.  The kids liked it, though.  They said it reminded them of Spaghetti Tacos.  :-)


CHEESE-TOPPED BEEF BAKE
(Erin-HopeAndRebekah via Simple & Delicious)

1 package (16 ounces) medium pasta shells
1 pound ground beef
1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. stir in the spaghetti sauce and taco seasoning. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and sour cream; set aside. Drain the pasta; stir in beef mixture. Transfer to a greased 13in x 9in x 2in baking dish. Spread with cream cheese mixture, sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments: