Thursday, June 9, 2011

Slow Cooker Creamy Tacos ***

We loved these.  I followed the suggestion of adding a can of corn and a can of pintos.  That made it come out a little less "creamy" and a little more "runny" than it would have otherwise, but the flavor was delicious.  I'm thinking next time I'll just drain the tomatoes some.  That should help with the runny part.  It was our first time to use the cooking creme, and I have to say, I am definitely a fan.  The kids and I had ours in taco shells with shredded cheese.  I added black olives to mine.  Dh had his on top of tortilla chips, kind of like chicken nachos.  I'm thinking I may do that next time as well.  This will definitely be made again.  It took me all of 5 minutes to throw it all together.  I used b/s breasts and then shredded them after they cooked.  Mine weren't frozen, but since they weren't shredded, they still took about 6 hours to cook.  I just wish I'd remembered to take a picture of it!

SLOW COOKER CREAMY TACOS
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ A Year of Slow Cooking via BlogHer and Kraft)

2 pounds chicken breast pieces (mine were frozen solid)
1 (14.5-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes (you can use garlic-seasoned, or plain in a pinch. I wouldn't do tomatoes with chiles if feeding kids)
1 (10-ounce) container PHILADELPHIA Cooking Creme--- Santa Fe flavor
taco shells or corn tortillas
1 cup frozen corn, or 1 can corn, drained (optional)
1 can black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
optional fixins': sour cream, avocado slices

Use a 4-quart slow cooker (if adding the optional add-ins, a 6-quart might be a better fit).
Put the chicken into your cooker. Add the entire can of tomatoes. Scrape out all the Cooking Creme (lick the container. It's GOOD!)
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken shreds easily with a fork. Stir well and serve in taco shells or corn tortillas with your favorite toppings.

No comments: