Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken Parmigiana Sandwiches ***

These were yummy.  The 8-year-old (who rarely ever finishes a meal) devoured his.  He practically inhaled it.  I made a few changes, but nothing to really alter the basic recipe.  I forgot to thaw the chicken, so I mixed the sauce up and used 3 frozen breasts.  Then I added an extra hour to the cook time.  It was done perfectly in 7 hours.  I would probably use 4 breasts next time, though.  Tonight, it was just me and the boys eating, so 3 was perfect.  I'd need 4 to have enough for all of us plus leftovers for hubby's lunch.  I used some crusty bolillo rolls.  I didn't want to take the time to put them in the skillet, so I sliced them all in half, used a little spray butter, and stuck them under the broiler long enough to toast them up a bit.  I also added a small tub of sliced fresh mushrooms, since I had some in the fridge that needed to be used up.  I would totally do that again.  They were really, really good in there.  


SLOW COOKER CHICKEN PARMIGIANA SANDWICHES
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ FoodFamilyFinds)

29 ounces canned tomato sauce
14.5 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes
12 ounces canned tomato paste
2 cups sweet yellow onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped (about 2 cloves)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 bay leaves
4 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped (about 6 leaves)
3-4 large THAWED/FRESH boneless, skinless chicken breasts
sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
grated Parmesan cheese
4-6 hard rolls
butter

Start the slow cooker on low heat.
Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and stir until combined.
Add onions, garlic, stir.
Add parsley, oregano, bay leaves, basil and stir.
Set chicken breast on top of the sauce, sprinkle generously with salt/pepper, cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Use two forks to shred the chicken.
Slice the hard rolls in half and toast on a hot buttered skillet.
Use tongs to grab chunks of the chicken, tapping the excess sauce into the pot before adding to your roll.
Top with a generous sprinkling of grated Parmesan, sliced mozzarella and serve.
*luckymommyto2boys/Amy's notes: I used frozen breasts and cooked on low for 7 hours.  I also added a small package of sliced fresh mushrooms.

No comments: