Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole **

We all enjoyed this, but it really needs even more than 8 hours, in my opinion.  The cabbage was still pretty firm at the 8-hour mark, even though my crockpot normally runs pretty hot.  I loved that I didn't have to cook the ground turkey beforehand, though.  That was absolutely wonderful.  I do hate browning ground turkey or ground beef.  Plus, I hate dirtying up an extra pan.  Overall, though, it was pretty good.  I would make it again, but I'd probably cook it for 9-10 hours instead.


SLOW COOKER CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Food.com)

1 -1 1/2 lb lean ground turkey or 1 -1 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
2 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 small head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, can add another 8- 15 oz if you like more sauce

Spray crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
Crumble the raw ground turkey (or beef) and spread along bottom of crock pot.
Add the onions, green pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and cabbage.
Pour the diced tomatoes over top.
Mix the sugar into the tomato sauce and pour over everything. If you like more sauce, add another 8-oz or 15-oz can of tomato sauce.
Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or on high for about 4 hours.
When done, remove lid and stir to mix well.

No comments: