Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sandwiches *

I just really wasn't impressed with these.  They were WAY too cheesy, in my opinion.  And that's coming from a gal who is really crazy about her cheese.  They would have been much better without the cream cheese layer.  That's just a bit too much.  The topping didn't spread very well either.  I expected it to spread out and be kind of even, but it just stayed right on top.  I think maybe I'd cut back the Parmesan a bit.  Honestly, though, this just needs a lot of work.  I made 24 rolls, since they were 12-packs.  I only used half a slice of Provolone cheese on each sandwich, so I used a total of 12 slices.  Even with doing that, it was still far too cheesy and rich.  I won't be making them like this again.  I do like the idea, though, so I plan to play around with that.


HAWAIIAN HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICHES
(Pinterest)


20 small Hawaiian sweet rolls
1 pound of black forest ham deli slices
20 slices of provolone cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dried minced onions
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with the bottom halves of 20 small Hawaiian sweet rolls, setting the top halves aside.
Top with 1 pound of black forest ham deli slices.
Top with 20 slices of provolone cheese. Yes, that is a lot of cheese, but you will thank me in about 30 minutes.
Generously spread cream cheese onto the bottoms of the sweet roll tops (one 8-oz. container will take care of them all). Place the tops over the cheese slices in the pan, lining them up with the bottoms of the rolls.
In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, minced onions, and Parmesan cheese.
Mix well and pour evenly over the tops of the sandwiches in the pan.
Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and sandwiches are warmed through. Cut at the seams with a sharp knife and serve warm! These are addicting, to-die-for snacks or appetizers and can even be a satisfying meal.
(Refrigerate leftovers, if there are any.)

No comments: