Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chicken Spinach Casserole ***

We all really enjoyed this one.  It's kind of a like a spinach dip almost.  The original recipe said it just made a "casserole dish," so I doubled it.  WAY too much.  I would say to use a 9x13 and keep the recipe as-is.  I was craving spinach, though, and it definitely hit the spot.  I was pressed for time, so I used canned chicken (I rinsed it to remove some of the salt) and canned spinach and skipped the salt.  I prefer "real" chicken, of course, I'd do that again, if I was in a pinch.  Good stuff.  I asked the 9-year-old what he thought, and he said, "Delish!"  :)  I've made my corrections to the recipe below.


CHICKEN SPINACH CASSEROLE
(Amy ~ mama2AbbyNJohn ~ via COOKS.COM)

1 whole cooked chicken (or 2 large b/s breasts)
1 can diced green chilies, drained
1 clove garlic, minced
1 med. onion, chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen spinach(or 2 small cans chopped spinach) , thawed and drained
1/2 tsp. salt
12-16 oz sour cream
8 oz. corn or tortilla chips
2 c. grated cheese (your choice)
Paprika

Saute garlic, onions and chilies (until onions are translucent); add cumin - cook 1 minute. Add soup, then defrosted spinach (squeezed dry). Add salt; simmer. Add chicken and sour cream. Heat thoroughly.
Layer chips, chicken mixture and cheese (2 times) in a 9x13 casserole dish and cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
This can also be cooked in the microwave on HIGH for approximately 15 minutes.

No comments: