Friday, September 2, 2011

Baked Parmesan Tomatoes ***

Oh, wow.  We loved these babies.  The kids didn't want to even try them, since they don't normally like tomatoes, but since we have the "try a bite" rule around here, they gave it a shot.  They both loved them!  The best part was that the house smelled divine while they were cooking.  I got the recipe from my friend Leah (thank you, girl!), and I knew as soon as she posted it that I had to try it.  That alone is really strange, since I don't care for cooked tomatoes at all.  Leah suggested putting a little mozzarella on each tomato and then sprinkling it with the parmesan.  I'll definitely stick with that.  I think I'll put the parmesan on underneath the mozzarella next time, though, just to soak up some of the juices.  I have to admit, I didn't measure anything with this, lol.  I just sprinkled all the spices over everything.  Definitely use foil on the pan, because the cheese that comes off will burn and stick a bit.  This is so easy and so yummy that I am going to be making it many, many times.  Yum!


BAKED PARMESAN TOMATOES
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ My friend Leah, via Eatingwell.com)

4 tomatoes, halved horizontally
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 450* F.
Place tomatoes cut-side up on a baking sheet. Top with Parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and bake until the tomatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
* Amy's notes: I used mozzarella and just sprinkled a little on each tomato.

No comments: