Monday, August 16, 2010

Rachael Ray's Grilled Beer Chicken With Potato Slabs ***

I doubled the recipe on this, since it said it only made 4 servings, and I like to make enough for dh to take some to work for lunch the next day.  That's absolutely wrong.  It's more like 6 servings.  Next time, I'll keep the marinade the same and just add a bit more chicken.  I used boneless/skinless thighs instead of drumsticks, since that's what I had.  The marinade smells divine.  The flavor is wonderful.  I forgot that I would need to cook it longer with thighs than with drumsticks.  I ended up cooking it an extra 10 minutes, but it could have used even longer.  Of course, if I hadn't doubled the recipe, there wouldn't have been more on the grill, so the 10 extra minutes probably would have been fine.  The chicken was so moist and flavorful, though.  I'll be doing that again soon.  The potatoes weren't a keeper for me.  I expected them to crisp up some on the grill, but they never did.  The outer edges were mushy, while the inner circles weren't even completely cooked.  It says to only cook them 3 minutes per side, but I cooked them a total of 15 minutes, and they were still slightly raw.  Next time, I'll skip them and just do baked potatoes.


Photo courtesy of Recipezaar

RACHAEL RAY'S GRILLED BEER CHICKEN WITH POTATO SLABS
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar)

12 ounces beer, room temperature (can or bottle)
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt, plus more
salt, for sprinkling
6 chicken drumsticks (about 1.5 pounds)
2 baking potatoes
olive oil, for drizzling
lime wedge, for serving

In a resealable plastic bag, combine the beer, butter, garlic, chili powder, brown sugar and salt.
Add the drumsticks, seal the bag and let marinate while you proceed.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to high.
Microwave the potatoes on high until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
Slice the potatoes lengthwise about 1/4-inch thick.
Drizzle both sides generously with olive oil.
Transfer the chicken and potatoes to the grill.
Grill the drumsticks, brushing with the beer marinade and turning occasionally, until the skin is golden and crisp and the juices run clear, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, grill the potatoes until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes on each side.
Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt.
Serve the chicken and potatoes with the lime wedges.

No comments: