Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Crockpot Texas Hash ***

Loved this one again.  We haven't had it in a while, so I thought I'd pop it back into the rotation.  Definitely still a winner.  I do think, though, that I'd like to add a bit more rice next time. Maybe even double it.  Just to break up the meat a bit.  This time, I used a frozen fajita blend with green peppers, red peppers, and onions, and then I threw in a can of corn as well.  I didn't bother cooking it with the meat beforehand, though.  I just threw it all in the crockpot together.  I need to do this one again soon, just to see how the rice thing does.  I'm curious now. :-)

CROCKPOT TEXAS HASH
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar.com)

2 lbs lean ground beef or venison
2 medium onions, diced (1-1/2 cups)
2 green bell peppers or red bell peppers, diced (1-1/2 cups)
2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup water
3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or grated (3/4 cup) (optional)
1/4 cup sliced spring onion (optional)

Brown ground beef, breaking meat into small pieces, cooking until pink disappears from meat.
Pour into colander and drain.
Place cooked meat and all other ingredients into crock pot and stir thoroughly.
Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 6-8 hours. (If you can still see individual grains of rice, keep cooking it until they disappear.)
Sprinkle cheese and spring onions over each serving, if desired.
* Amy's notes: I subbed fire-roasted diced tomatoes, instant brown rice, ground turkey, and a frozen stir-fry mix.  I cooked the stir-fry veggies in the pan with the turkey, and I only had to cook in the crock for 4-5 hours.


Previous Posts:
4/5/10 ~ Oh my goodness, this was so good!  I sent some home with my mom, just because I couldn't believe how good it was, lol.  I used ground turkey, as always.  I also subbed fire-roasted diced tomatoes, just because we prefer them, and instant brown rice, because that's all I had.  After cooking the turkey, I added frozen chopped onion and a frozen stir-fry mix (green peppers, red peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, and snap peas) to the pan and let them cook until softened.  I then drained everything and added it to the crock.  Because I had already semi-cooked the veggies and used instant rice, mine only cooked for about 4-5 hours on low before it was done.  I added a little bit of shredded cheese to each serving.  This will definitely be a keeper for us!

No comments: