Monday, April 4, 2011

Meatloaf Burgers ***

I've made these before, and we've always loved them.  They're so easy, and they combine two of our favorite loves: meatloaf and hamburgers.  :-)  This time, however, I subbed ground turkey for the beef (as I always do in my recipes).  The first time I make a recipe, I stick to it as-written, so last time, we had it with the beef.  I will just say that without a doubt, this is not a turkey-friendly meal.  I did take into account that the turkey would cook faster, and it was done in about 5 hours.  Way too dry, though.  Next time, it's back to the good old beef on this one.  I will say, though, that the flavor is still phenomenal!

MEATLOAF BURGERS
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Taste of Home)

1 large onion, sliced
1 celery rib, chopped
2 pounds lean ground beef
1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups tomato juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
6 hamburger buns, split

Place onion and celery in a 3-qt slow cooker. Combine the beef, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper; shape into six patties. Place over onion mixture. Combine the tomato juice, garlic, ketchup, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, and remaining salt. Pour over the patties.
Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Separate patties with a spatula if necessary; serve on buns.

No comments: