Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Best Meatloaf ****

This one has been around the BBC board for a long time.  I believe the first time I tried it was back in 2006, if my old records are correct (your guess is as good as mine on that one).  It is hands-down my favorite basic meatloaf recipe.  After looking for pictures on Recipezaar, I noticed that the same recipe on there defines the "seasoned bread crumbs" as being the stuffing breadcrumbs from Pepperidge Farm.  I always just use Italian breadcrumbs, but I'll bet the stuffing ones would make it even better than it already is.  I'll have to give that a try.  Oh, and as always, I subbed ground turkey.
Anyway, I like that this one doesn't have any tomato ingredients in the actual meatloaf itself.  It allows you to taste the meat, and it lets you enjoy the sauce more, as the flavors are different.  Complementary, but different.  One of my favorite parts is the addition of the mustard to the topping.  In my opinion, that keeps it from being overly sweet.  There were "oohs" and "ahhs" coming from all around the table tonight, so I definitely need to make this stuff more often! 

Photo courtesy of Recipezaar

THE BEST MEATLOAF
(Cyndy-Peytonsmommy31804)

1-1.5 lb. lean ground beef
1/3 C seasoned bread crumbs
¼ C grated Parmesan
Freshly ground pepper
1 egg
1 tsp. dehydrated onion (or ½ c. chopped onion, or some onion powder)
1 garlic clove, minced (I use more)
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 350*.
Combine all ingredients and put into loaf pan.

In a small bowl combine:
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. ketchup
1 TB mustard

Pour this on top of meat mixture, and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour.
*Amy's notes: I like to double the meat mixture (using ground turkey) and keep the sauce amounts the same.

No comments: