Monday, October 17, 2011

Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli ***

First of all, I have never tried roasted broccoli in any way, so this really kind of blew my mind.  Sad as it may be, it never even occurred to me to try roasting it.  I've done asparagus and green beans and even spinach, but I never even considered broccoli.  I loved it.  Unfortunately, I cut my stalks WAY too small, so most of mine burnt.  The few I got to try that weren't, though, were heavenly.  I've already bought a new head of broccoli to try again this week.  It's part of our supper for tonight, hopefully.  I let the youngest boy try it with me, but the oldest just turned his nose up at it because of the burnt ones on there.  Same with dh (gee, wonder where he gets it?).  We'll see how it goes this week, and I'll post a new review. 
I obviously didn't take a picture of my nasty burnt ones, but there is a picture on the OP's website.  The link to her review is below the title of the recipe.

PARMESAN-ROASTED BROCCOLI
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ via What a Dish!)

1-2 pounds broccoli (2 small heads)
3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
Good olive oil
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest, optional
1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon julienned fresh basil leaves, optional

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets, discarding the rest of the stalks. Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart.
3. Place the broccoli florets on a baking pan (I used 9x13) large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
4. Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I just made this tonight...so good! I ended up burning some of the sliced garlic...oh well :)

Amy said...

Isn't it yummy? My smaller pieces burned, but the bigger ones were delicious. I was eating those bad boys like candy! :-)

Natalie Watt said...

For some reason it never occurred to me that my roasted broccoli burns because I cut the pieces too small. This recipe looks great. I cannot wait to try it with BIG pieces.