Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Slow Cooker Cornbread Casserole ***

As always, this was super tasty.  The kids think that Jiffy is my "secret cornbread recipe."  Seriously, my youngest asked me last year (when he was 9) if I'd pass it down to them before I die.  Bahaha!  So anything with Jiffy and corn was going to be a winner for us.  There was never any doubt.  We loved it, though.  I typically will use ground turkey sausage, and since it's leaner, I'll double the amount.  Then instead of messing with cutting up vegetables, I just grab a bag of the frozen fajita blend of peppers and onions.  Works perfectly.  I once again forgot about the note to try green chilies in it. Maybe I'll get around to it next time.  I'd considered maybe trying it with chilies and rotisserie chicken.  Just to see how it goes.  Who knows?  :-)


SLOW COOKER CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ SassySlowCooker)

1 lb ground sausage, browned
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of cream of corn
1 c of onions, diced
1 c green pepper, diced
3 packages of corn muffin mix
1-1/2 c of cheddar cheese, shredded

Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
Brown meat with peppers and onions.
Place drained corn with the meat mixture in a bowl.
Prepare corn muffin mixes as directed in a bowl with cream of corn.
Layer slow cooker with 1/2 corn muffin, meat mixture, half of cheese, and rest of corn muffin mix.
Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
About 20 minutes before serving, sprinkle remainder of cheese on top of casserole and replace lid.
Notes:
You can use ground turkey or beef as an alternative to the sausage.
You can add green chilies or jalapenos if you would like to add a twist of spice to the casserole.

No comments: