Monday, January 20, 2014

Slow Cooker Clean-Eating Jambalaya ****

I could have kept eating this all night.  Seriously.  I made a few minor alterations, but nothing that would greatly change the outcome.  My shrimp and chicken were frozen, so I just chucked them both in at the beginning of the cook time.  I cooked it for 6 hours on low and 1 hour on high.  I used a package of frozen peppers and onions (the fajita blend packs), just because I already had some in the freezer.  Similarly, I used Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning in place of the Cajun seasoning, because that's what I had on hand.  I accidentally picked up a tomato paste that had salt and basil and oregano, so I cut the salt from the recipe.  So basically, I used the recipe, but I just improvised a bit, lol.  Oh, I did cut the Creole seasoning to 2 tablespoons instead of 3, so that it wouldn't be too spicy for the kids.  It was absolutely perfect.  Just enough heat without being too hot for them.  Now I can't wait to have it again!  :-)


SLOW COOKER CLEAN-EATING JAMBALAYA
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ GetCrocked)

2 lbs. chicken breast, boneless, skinless
1/2 c. green bell pepper, diced
2 c. celery, finely diced
1 c. yellow onions
2 c. tomatoes, fresh, diced
2 c. chicken broth, Organic, Free Range
6 oz. tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 T. cajun seasoning
1 tsp. sea salt
1 lb shrimp, uncooked wild-caught; peeled, and de-veined
2 c. cooked brown rice

Combine chicken breasts, bell pepper, celery, onion, tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, garlic, seasoning and salt into large, 6-quart slow cooker.
Cover. Cook on Low for 6 hours, or High for 3 hours.
Stir occasionally, if needed.
Add shrimp to slow cooker, stirring to combine.
Cover. Cook on Low for an additional 2 hours or on High for 1 hour.
Cook brown rice according to the directions on the package, stirring in the last 15-20 minutes before your meal is done.
*luckymommy/Amy's notes: I subbed 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning for the Cajun seasoning.  I also put frozen shrimp and chicken in at the beginning of the cook time and cooked for 6 hours on low and 1 hour on high.

No comments: