Monday, June 22, 2015

Popeye's Red Beans and Rice ***

Even though there's one just a couple minutes from my house, I actually have never tried Popeye's.  However, I love red beans and rice, so when I first saw this a few years ago, I knew I had to give it a shot.  This is probably the hundredth time I've made it since then.  So good!  Not a bit spicy, thanks to adding the hot sauce after cooking.  Hubby and I love ours with the hot sauce, but it is easily left out of the kids' servings.  The OP said she used hot sausage links and goya beans, but I just use turkey smoked sausage and pinto beans.  I also use brown rice instead of white.  I'm sure the white would probably soak up the juices and hold the flavor better, but the brown makes me feel better about it, healthwise.  :)


POPEYE'S RED BEANS AND RICE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Food.com)

1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
4 (16 ounce) cans pink beans, drained and rinsed
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 pinch rosemary, crumbled
1/8 cup liquid smoke
1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
6 cups cooked rice

Mix all ingredients (except rice) well in a crock pot.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Remove bay leaf.
Stir in cooked rice and serve with hot sauce on the side.
*Amy's notes: I use turkey sausage and pinto beans.  The OP said she used hot links sausage and goya beans.  I also only use about a tablespoon of liquid smoke.

No comments: