Thursday, August 18, 2011

Spinach-Artichoke Cheesy Tortellini ***

As soon as I saw this on Amy's WFD Blog, I knew I had to make it.  This one was definitely a fan favorite around our house tonight.  The sauce is very similar to spinach-artichoke dip, which the boys and I love.  Dh is not so much a fan of artichokes, so I compromised by rinsing them out really well before chopping them up.  That took a lot of the bitter flavor away (which is, of course, some of the yumminess, but the things we'll do for our loved ones, lol), so it was more tolerable for him.  I also added about a cup and a half or so of diced cooked chicken right before I mixed the sauce with the noodles.  When I did that, I added a cup or so of milk, to thin it out a bit.  It was perfect, and I'll definitely keep doing that.  I was kind of wary of the nutmeg, since it's definitely not my favorite spice, but you really can't taste it at all.  I'm guessing you could probably even leave it out, but since it's not over-powering, I don't mind it being in there.  I'll definitely be making this again.  Thank you for posting it, Amy!


SPINACH-ARTICHOKE CHEESY TORTELLINI
(snoelles - Rachael Ray's Express Lane Meals)

1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach , thawed and drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, grated
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 (14 ounce) can water-packed artichoke hearts , drained and chopped
1 cup parmesan cheese or romano cheese
1 lb cheese tortellini

1. Heat a deep skillet over medium heat with the oil and butter.
2. When butter melts, add garlic and grated onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle the flour into the skillet and cook for 1 minute.
4. Whisk in the broth, then the cream and bring to a bubble.
5. Season the sauce with nutmeg and reduce heat to low.
6. Separate spinach into pieces as you add it to the sauce.
7. Stir in the artichokes and cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Cook the tortellini in salted boiling water according to package directions, about 7 minutes.
9. Drain and toss with the spinach artichoke sauce.
10. Serve immediately with additional grated cheese and diced tomatoes, if desired.
*Amy's notes: I added a cup and a half of diced cooked chicken and a cup of skim milk before combining the pasta with the sauce.

No comments: