Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Potato Sloppy Joe Bake ***

We loved this one!  I actually put off making it for a bit (even after I'd put it on the menu, lol), because I can be kind of funny about sloppy joes.  They kind of ick me out sometimes, since the sauce flavor is too strong.  This one totally solved that problem.  By mixing the cream of potato soup in with the sauce mixture, it softened up the harshness of the sauce and gave it a creamier flavor.  I only made a couple changes.  As always, I subbed ground turkey.  I also couldn't find a jar of sauce, so I had to use one of the packets of dry sauce mix.  I covered and cooked it for 20 minutes, uncovered and cooked for 5 minutes, added the cheese, and then cooked for the remaining 5 minutes.  It got rave reviews, so considering how easy it is, I can see us making it again soon.  :)


POTATO SLOPPY JOE BAKE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Taste of Home)

1 lb ground beef
1 (15.5-oz) sloppy joe sauce
1 (10.75-oz) can condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
1 (32-oz) pkg frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 cup (4-oz) shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add sloppy joe sauce and soup. Place hash browns in a greased 13"x9" baking dish. Top with beef mixture.
Cover and bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese.
*Amy's notes: I subbed ground turkey and used a packet of dry sloppy joe mix (following the instructions on the packet).  I also added the cheese the last 5 minutes of baking, to let it melt a little more.

No comments: