Sunday, May 30, 2010

Easy Skillet Casserole ***

I spent all evening in the kitchen, getting our breakfast and lunch made for tomorrow (Memorial Day), so this was the perfect meal to throw together in the process.  The kids had a "picnic" on the floor and watched Goonies with dh while I cooked, and this made a nice, easy meal (cooking and clean-up) for them to eat in front of the TV.  I said it last time, and I'll say it again.  The Worcestershire definitely makes the dish, as far as I'm concerned.  Otherwise, it would just be mac-n-cheese with hamburger meat.  As usual, I subbed ground beef for ground turkey.

Photo courtesy of Recipezaar

EASY SKILLET CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ Recipezaar)

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
salt
pepper
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 (12 ounce) package macaroni & cheese dinner mix

Brown beef in a large, deep pot with onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Worchestershire sauce.
Cook macaroni separately according to package directions.
When beef is cooked add tomato paste and prepared macaroni.
Mix thoroughly.
Cook over low heat until thickened. Add grated cheese on top, if desired. Cover and set aside for 5 mins before serving.

PREVIOUS REVIEWS
2/24/10: No question. This one was a hit. The boys all loved it. All 3 of them, lol. I liked it. It's nothing special, but it's easy enough and has a nice flavor to it. I really like the Worcestershire cooked with the meat. That adds an extra little flavor dimension to it. I used ground turkey with no problems. Definitely a keeper for us.

No comments: