Friday, September 2, 2016

Little Smokies Croissant Breakfast Casserole ***

It was pretty obvious from the title that I would love this recipe.  I mean, with Little Smokies and croissants, how could you go wrong?  I was right, though.  This thing was awesome.  I did have to go for the full 50 minutes, just to make sure the eggs thickened up enough.  As usual, I subbed Egg Beaters for the eggs.  I'm wondering how it would be with the Southwestern Egg Beaters.  Might have to try that next time.  I did leave out the Dijon and the onion powder.  I never can get into those flavors with pork in general, but the idea of them in a breakfast food makes me kind of gag.  Honestly, even if I liked the flavors, I doubt I would want them in something like this.  Eggs are so good on their own (to me, anyway), and once you add in the croissants and Smokies, the flavor just get even more spectacular.  I would be afraid that the mustard and onion flavor would jsut take too much attention from all the other yummy goodness.  But all of that aside, we loved this bad boy.  Not to mention how much I love being able to throw it together the night before.  My oven has a timer that allows me to set it to come on and preheat at a specific time.  So I set it early, got up and popped that bad boy in the oven, and went back to bed for 50 minutes.  Perfect!


LITTLE SMOKIES CROISSANT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ PlainChicken)

1 (14-oz) package Little Smokies
1 (10 to 13-oz) package mini croissants
2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp Dijon mustard
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
5 eggs

Chop little Smokies and mini croissants into bite-sized pieces. Toss together little Smokies, croissants and cheddar cheese. Pour into a lightly greased 9x13-inch pan.
Whisk together milk, heavy cream, onion powder, Dijon mustard and eggs. Pour over croissant mixture. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover casserole. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: