Wednesday, March 11, 2015

McMuffin Casserole ****

I've made this so many times over the past year, and it still gets requested regularly.  This past year, it was even requested as our Christmas morning breakfast, which is kind of a big deal for us.  Only the good recipes make it to that point, lol.  It's just so easy and so good.  Hubby normally can't stand English muffins, but even he loves this one.  The recipe below is with my updated amounts.  The original recipe is in the link under the title.  I've kept all of the ingredients as-is, but I like making it in a 9x13.  Plus, all of our English muffin packs come in 6, not 4.  Seems silly not to just use them all.  I can usually squeeze breakfast for all four of us one morning, plus breakfast for just the kids a second morning, out of one pan.  So perfect.  I just use plain semi-thinly-sliced ham in ours, though.  This time around, I used Egg Beaters instead of eggs.  Still just as good!  Now I'm wishing I had the stuff to make this again tomorrow morning. :-)


MCMUFFIN CASSEROLE
(luckymommyto2boys ~ Amy ~ PlainChicken)

6 English muffins, split
9 oz Canadian bacon
1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1-3/4 cup milk
salt
pepper

Grease a 9"x13" square baking dish. Cube English muffins and chop Canadian bacon. Add half of the cubed English muffins in a single layer. Top with half of the Canadian bacon and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Layer the remaining English muffins and Canadian bacon and 1/2 cup more cheese.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the casserole. Wrap the baking dish with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 day.
Bake at 325 degrees 45 to 50 minutes.
Serves 6.
**luckymommy/Amy's notes: I use Egg Beaters and regular sliced deli ham.

Previous reviews:
7/29/14 ~ We loved this!  Hubby had already left for work, so he didn't get to try it yet.  The kids and I thought it was amazing, though.  I'm normally not a huge fan of overnight casseroles that use bread as the base, since it always ends up so soggy.  However, on this one, the English muffins hold together beautifully, and there's none of that mushy, undercooked eggy feeling to it.  It's a breeze to throw together, too.  I will definitely be making this again.

No comments: